(transgressed boundaries, potent fusions, and dangerous possibilities)
we began planning #cyborgs right away when we became familiar with the work of maggie hazen. we used her work as a starting point and sent out an open call searching for #cyborg artists to tell us something about what Haraway meant by "transgressed boundaries, potent fusions, and dangerous possibilities".
the work we received resonated around the idea of digital intimacy. artificial intelligence has entered the common tongue, but what of emotional intelligence?
- gifs from Peter Whittenberger help us understand how the riders of the tech storm truly feel to each other.
- a web piece by Emma Dickson shows us what it feels like for #cyborgs to be lonely through data-scraping of craig's list's Missed Connections.
- <3 u documents the process of using performance scores as a pathway to creating digital intimacy.
- tim tsang's desktop performances are intimate acts of performative viewing, merging and blending the work of other #cyborg artists through manipulating windows and display settings.
when thinking about #cyborgs, we can't ignore the goo.
...or the way that #cyborgs are fundamentally queer--neither nor both and any of the above answer unclear try again later.
- SUPERCHAMBERS asks you to enter into a 'becoming neuroqueer' by viewing the intimate spaces of the #cyborgian mind.
- Fratolish Hiang-Perpeshki is a hologram, a #cyborg identity created by the artists that performs a xenoqueer fantasy of incestous alien love.
- Karl Munstedt's game world imagines a chemical queering of the population through mutation of the reproductive system.
- my body is a (virtual)-/wonderland queers the narratives of class and gender by re-imagining the real estate of the gentry as a HOUSE OF KILLING.
can #cyborgs be born?
- Tara Youngborg considers the possibility in a series of interactive web pieces.
:some holographic performances by #cyborgs:
- Alex Hovet builds a persona off a data-hoarder's Internet Archive page as part of an Instagram Residency.
- Seeker_of_True-files: an emergent entity of an evolving noetic field that seeks interactions with like-minded seekers, artists' manifestos and cyborg revolutions. It quests, imagines and is steadily weaving cyborg futures.
- Documentation of over a decade of network performances by Garrett Lynch.
- RIVAL: an artificial intelligence created by Noah Travis Phillips and used to paint a collective portrait of how #cyborgs see water.
- William Wolfgang Wunderbar: a multiplicitious social media shared identity that produced "mixed feelings"--a series of digital images that collide the digital iconography of emotions into mutant hybirds.
as the production of interfaces intensifies, #cyborgs touch everything, taking many shapes.
- Surface Tension examines the intersection of flesh and device from the point of view of the device.
- Manion Kuhn's facebook residency last year explored the intersection of water, privelege, and infrastructure. View documentation of the residency and explore the sources and writing that surrounded it.
- Synthetic Empathic Intelligent Companion Artefacts (SEICA) Human Interaction Labs is a future-bending virtual organization that takes a speculative approach to (re)searching human interaction in relation to networked consumer electronic devices.
- Daniel Pinheiro writes about the Internet as a living medium devoid of content.